Pennsylvania Trip
Our family church, St. Mary's. We lived just a block away and walked to church on Sunday's. You go behind the church, down the alley and down through their backyard to my Aunt Barb's house. We walked to church when we visited and stayed with her too!

This is my elementary school, Andrew Jackson Elementary. It's still in use and still looks exactly the same. I'm sure the kids who were outside thought I was nuts! A middle-aged lady standing up in a sunroof taking pictures!

The road leading to Jackson Elementary is still made of brick and still well maintained. It made me very nostalgic! I used to walk to school in my little jumpers and saddle shoes *sniff*

The leaves definitely decked themselves out in their best colors! They were much appreciated. I don't know when i've saw such beautiful fall sights......

The beautiful Appalachian Mountains!

I got to see my nephew Rob and meet his little girl Hannah. I was his surrogate mother when he was in elementary and middle school. I always went to his school functions and took him trick-or-treating, made easter baskets etc. He cried when we left.

The "Switzer girls" and our beloved Dad whom we call "Pop". That's me, Gail, Bonnie and Kathy and that is in chronological age order also. Anybody care to guess which on drives the *snort* LUXURY Chrysler 300? Hehehe.....

Despite going up for such a sad reason we sure did enjoy ourselves and had some awesome family time.
Aunt Barb looked as good as a dead person could look. She suffered at the end and I was so glad she was finally, finally not suffering anymore. Still it broke my heart to see her laying in the casket. I kept expecting her to sit up and yell "OH Hell you don't REALLY think i'm DEAD do you?". She was something else. Something special. They played Elvis songs at her funeral and she was buried in her pajamas. That should tell you something about her right there!
I can't tell you how many shopping hours we logged together. If my Mom would nix something I wanted (usually because it was too expensive and this was before I was old enough to have a job) Aunt Barb would always sneak back and buy it for me saying "It's our secret" - as if my Mom wouldn't notice but she never said a word.

Even when she was diagnosed with cancer she'd grab her oxygen tank and they'd come down to South Carolina. She didn't let anything stop her. She saw Madison more than some people who live right down here did! She loved Stacy too, got the biggest kick out of him and she would make "whoopie pies" for him. A very labor-intensive treat originating with the amish people. She was just so so so special. I know she knew how much she meant to me - I was never shy about telling her and i'm so glad I did. I never missed a chance to give her as many hugs and kisses as I could. She was last down here before Christmas last year, she wore a crazy pink hat because she had lost her hair to chemo but she nevet let it get her down. She never said "Why me?", never complained. Ever. Ever.
I hope I can be half the woman she was.
Aunt Barb, I love you and I will miss you like crazy the rest of my life......
9 comments:
Anonymous

Glad you were able to spend some awesome time with your family.
So sorry to hear about your loss, your aunt sounds like a wonderful person. I know you will miss her but you have wonderful memories.

Kim

What a beautiful post about your beloved Aunt Barb. I am sorry that you lost her, but I am glad she is at peace now. Sounds like she was an awesome aunt. I hope one day my nephews will write something like this about me. I have always believed that the main purpose for aunts/uncles is to spoil the kids.

((hugs)) my friend.

Standing up in your sunroof taking pictures! LOL, you're awesome. Those trees, of course, look amazing. We're at the point up here, that we have lost most of our coloured leaves now.

I don't think this was supposed to be a comedy post but I sure was over here laughing AND crying!!

I cried at this: "I always went to his school functions and took him trick-or-treating, made easter baskets etc. He cried when we left."

Laughed at this: "Aunt Barb looked as good as a dead person could look."

I think it was supposed to round the other way no? LOL

Was she really buried in her pjs?

Wow I miss Aunt Barb as well she sounds like a wonderful wonderful woman.

What a very special tribute to your Aunt Barb. Everybody should be as lucky as you to have such a special person in their life. May she RIP.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. HUGS.

MJ

What a great post about your aunt, may she be at peace. I can totally see her doing all that with you. Very nice tribute.

Patti, I am so sorry to hear about your aunt Barb, and sorry for you loss as well! This was a great post and really captured her personality! She sounds like a remarkable lady, who really knew how to love and live life to the fullest! Enjoyed the pics and history behind your home town and growing up there!

The pics from Beaufort were great, too! Looks like the makings of a wonderful weekend get-away before it was cut short! Kevin's aunt, uncle, and family lived there 44 years ago, before they were all killed tragically in an airplane crash. I've heard it was a beautiful place and would like to visit one day!

Oh, and I'm guessing the sister with the "luxury" 300 is the last one on the right, or the oldest(?). How close am I? LOL! ~Hugs, Rhonda

I'm sorry about your Aunt. It's so nice that you had someone like that in your life.

The car? My sister had one of those for a little while. She let me drive it once. I drove it like I stole it!

Rhonda, nope it is the one standing next to me LOL (blonde)