No Place Like Home
This is my childhood home in Williamsport, PA. 800 Diamond Street. Our phone number was 717-322-4451. Funny what you remember.
These pictures were taken last spring by some old school chums of my oldest sister. Denny & Pat are both really funny, nice guys. They get together about once every month or so and eat at Joey's a neighborhoold bar/hangout in downtown Williamsport.
Denny works in DC but goes home on the week-ends, Pat lives in upstate NY.
They were taunting us on F@cebook one night about going to Joey's (home of the most divine cheesesteak and pizzas - yum!
We were talking about our old neighborhood and they graciously rode by our old house and took pics with Pat's cellphone.
They said the house is still called "the Switzer house" even though we haven't lived in it in 30 years! With 5 kids in our family there was always a minimum of 10-12 people in the house at any given time. Ours was the "go to" place because our parents were very welcoming and had the attitude "the more the merrier".
I think there was always a house like that in every neighborhood.
I am very glad I grew up in a neighborhood/city setting but I wouldn't trade the South for anything either and I am very glad my daughter is growing up where she is.
Williamsport has grown more crime-ridden and attracts alot of riff-raff from Philly because of a drug rehab center that opened in the last 10 years.
Where we roamed the neighborhood freely and rode the City Bus downtown, no one even goes down to Center City at night anymore.
That makes me sad, very sad.
I will always have my memories though and remember where I am from.
Thanks for the memories Billtown.....


15 comments:
Anonymous

That is a beautiful house...


It's good to have friends who
would do that for you :)

HUGS!!!!

Laurie

Very cool house to grow up in....


Oh and I'mmmmm baaaaack.....

Nice house!!!!

Did you call your old number to see if you were still there?

How wonderful to see the house you grew up in, now....It's funny how one remembers that first phone number....I am a lot, a lot, a LOT older than you and I can still remember our phone number--BEFORE their was anything else but the NOW, last four numbers. No Prefex, now three diget identifying....Just four numbers without anything else.

We moved too many times to count while I was growing up to even have a home I could say I grew up in. I have gone back to the house I lived in for the 9 years before I got married, so guess that's close enough. Not very different today, which was nice to see.

I did that a couple years ago when I was in my hometown. We lived in four houses; One has been razed, I couldn't find the second, but I got photos of the last two, as well as the apartment I lived in when I was newly married. It was rather melancholy.

In the small towns around here, calling houses "the (fill in a family name) house" is very common. My son lives in "The Miller House." But they moved out just 10 or so years ago!

Patti: lol! I remember our phone number as a kid too! Such beautiful photos. I so appreciate your love and supportiveness for little Trevor. Thank you, Patti! It means a lot!!!!:)

MJ

Cool house and great memories--my parents still live in the house I grew up in and I still have my bedroom there.

That house gives me a warm feeling, particularly because of that fall setting. I'm glad you're posting regularly - October's the best time to post and it's right around the corner. Unfortunately I'm leaving for Florida and won't be updating (or visiting blogs) for a few weeks!

We had a house like yours, always open to our friends. My parents were cool about having our friends around.

My SIL and BIL left Jersey Shore a few years ago, but had been complaining about the situation in Williamsport for some time. How sad that cities, both large and small, are falling victim to such disrepair.

~hippo hugs~

That is a beautiful house! It's wonderful to have the blessing of growing up in a big old house....We had one, but it was stucco. 100 years old, and the best claw-foot bath tub! Ahhh.
I lived in ours, from age 2-7 and still remember the phone#, address, and details of every room almost.

Looks like a wonderful place. Treasure those pictures :-)

I LOVE that house! You know I do!!!!!!

Hugs,

Betty

THats a great house.
I am fortunate to still live in the same neighborhood i grew up in and most of the houses here look like the one use d to live in

What a post that just took me down the colset memory lane!
Thanks P.!