
Can you see him? A little caterpillar! (click on the picture to "big" it)! It took her a few days to pick one up when we first started seeing them. She wanted to but unfortunately she has inherited my fear of bugs and creepy crawlies! It's so much fun seeing things through a child's eyes. She gets so excited when we see a caterpillar or ladybug or butterfly! Brittany caught a butterfly on Sunday. I told her it was not a good idea to do that because their wings are very delicate but it flew away and seemed okay (maybe it flew off somewhere and had a heart attack but I hope not!).
Having a small child let's you kind of re-experience your own childhood. I love blowing bubbles, kicking a ball around the yard, swinging on her swingset. I WISH I could ride in her Barbie Bug!
They did not have cool stuff like that when I was her age but I did have a Big Wheel! Remember those? Man we wore ours OUT. We would race them around the huge parking lot at Ascension Catholic Church and the old lady who lived next to it (Mrs. Gentz) would come and tell us to get out of HER parking lot.
She was the one we thought was a witch cos' bats flew in and out of her chimney and we would stalk her on her way to the store. She always wore black. She would keep all balls, frisbees etc. that made their unfortunate way into her yard. I think most neighborhoods had an old curmudgeon like her.

first bishes!
Be glad she's scared of them. Josh
would bring them in and want to
keep them in his bed to keep them
warm so they could turn into
butterflys or moths.
I never had a neighbor like that.
I did however have one that would
flip out anytime I stepped in the
road. She told my mom.
Hope Helga is behaving. Is she
going to Cheeky next?
HUGS!!
If you click on the picture, it "bigs" it and you can see the caterpillar perfectly!!! She looks SO happy with her find!
I was always into bugs and lizards when I was a kid...with two older brothers, I didn't have a choice! :)
Laurie- Uh i'm thankful she won't bring them in the house LOL Yep she goes to Cheeky. I guess i'll send her on this week.
Stacy PQ- Yeah I meant to say you can click on the pic to "big" it!
I loved my big wheel. We wore ours out too.
Your post reminds me of the Toys R Us theme song and its running through my head now. "I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys R Us kid." I wish I had cool stuff to play with too. My grandchildren will be moving closer to me soon so I may have to purchase some fun things. My daughters wore their big wheels out too. :-)
I bet Mrs. Gentz WAS a witch!!!!!
Katie- Hit the brake and ~scree~!! I loved it! Now I wish I had one to ride!
Daisy- LOL I'm so glad your grandkids are moving closer. You & Man will have a blast with them. I think she was too.
when our girls were small, slightly older than maddie, they loved picking up lizards (we lived in florida) and they enjoyed some other creepin crawlies. once they hit adolescence their happy relationship with ALL creepin crawlies came to an end. YYAAAYYYH! for maddie on holding that caterpillar!
i'm with you, patti. i used to play with all the girls toys and i had a blast sharing childhood with them!
when i was in first grade, a "witch" lived on our street too. LOL!
;)
~m
M- Isn't that funny all the similarities? :)
Those are great moments. I love the little things that excite them so much...free fun!
I loved my Big Wheel...haven't thought about that ride in a while. Kyle has a green machine and he and the neighborhood kids fight over who's gonna ride first...It's really cool!
Morning, Patti: I never tire of Madison's infectious zest for life. It reminds me how mch we miss as adults! She is so precious!! When my Mom gets here I'll have to pull up your website. She loves children and will get such a warmhearted kick out of Madison. She really has life by the horns. BTW: Don't you wish they had cool velcro shoes when we were kids? :D
I never had a big wheel. I was already too big, I guess when they came out with them. I rode my bicycle with the basket and had sidewal skates I wore out.. Those were fun days..
We used to see this old woman in our neighborhood too.. She scared me.. My Momma would sometimes go over there.. I wouldn't dare though!..lol
Chelle- I remember the Green Machine's too. Didn't know they still made them!
Michael- Yep that's something else I wish they had, I had a devil of a time learning to tie my shoes. LOL I'd be proud if you shared my Maddie with your Mom!
Miss Songbird- Oh i'm sure I am older than you! I think every neighborhood had an old person the kids were scared of!
This picture of Maddie is so very precious!
What joy children have in discovering new things! Isn't it delightful??
xoxo
Linda
Linda- Thank you so much! It is MOST delightful!
Big wheels ruled. Ah...to be young again. So sweet.
That pictures is A-dorable - her face is just precious - PRECIOUS!!!!! They do bring a lot of JOY to our lives - don't they?!?
Have a good evening, Patti - see ya - Kellan
Geez, I'm so sold that even a Big Wheel would be out of my league!! We played with rocks and sticks in my day! LOL!
Bugs - my SIL is afraid of bugs, too. Her daughter (who is now a doctor!) was always playing with things and sometimes bringing them in the house. The funniest was when SIL opened a drawer and hundreds of little Praying Mantis' marched out of the drawer and all over the room!! Kelly had put a cocoon in her drawer!
Patty- you will have to get her a butterfly canopy from Discovery kids ( I think we got ours at Target). It comes with a certificate you send in to get 5 caterpillars. You can watch them trasition to buttreflies. We just got ours a couple of days ago, they have already doubled in size! By the weekend they should start the chrysalis stage!
Oh Lord I can't even think of the number of big wheels we went through. And the bikes. Lord the bikes. So many bikes. My Mom reminds us of that any time we moan and groan about our childhood.
My son was crazy about frogs when he was little.
Only problem was, I have always hated frogs. I run screaming from them.
V. cute pic. One of my playground kids made friends with a worm today. It died and the kid cried, and cried, and cried.
Oh yeah, did I mention the kid cried???
Patti, I don't think its the Green Machine that we would have had...check it out at Toys R Us...I'll have to do a post on it with the pictures. It' a cool ride and the girls love it too!
andie- I know sometimes I wish I were a kid again!
Kellan- Yes - tons of joy!
Lynilu- You are crazy LOL rocks & sticks indeed! Kelly would have been dead meat!
tommie- THANKS! I will look into that. She would absolutely love it!
Shell- Yeps bikes hold a special place in my childhood heart too!
Mike- You should not have told me that! Better hope I don't come to MI *wink*
Jessica- Awwww tell him he has to make friends with something a little ,er more sturdier! Poor thing!
Chelle- I'll have to check it out! Madison has about WORE OUT her Barbie Bug. She's had it 2 1/2 years now.
I am sure i left a comment here yesterday. Somwe long winded story about some old bat that used to take our balls and stick a knife in the then toss them back out.
I don;t rremember how I said it but yeah some bats do live in dark chimineys
Luv her heart! She's so cute!!
Man I can't wait...till we get a little punkin' to luv!! (I hope time flies!!) - I too, love bubbles, swinging, going to the park, doing all that fun kid-stuff.
This old couple in our neighborhood growing up always had yellow dried grass...lol. We used to slide down the front hill of their lawn on our butts. It was so slippery since their lawn was perpetually dead. They'd yell out the window at us and chase us away if they caught us. We called them "The Old Birds"...lol.
I think every kid has at least one or two houses in their neighborhood that had some old cranky coot who scared them or chased them out. LOL. It makes childhood exciting and fun, looking back. LOL
This reminded me of something my niece did when she was Maddie's age. She saw a lizard on the wall and thought it was a bug and squished it with a shoe.
Um, of course this has nothing to do with your post but thought I'd share. :)
Bats flying in and out of the chimney? Ahh, sounds like a movie! I love it.
I bolted a bat-house to our chimney once. And there it sat for 3 years with no bats ever using it.
Post a Comment