Two Days til "V" Day!
Valentines Day is fast approaching. I do not have any high expectations for it. We are going away this week-end (for which i'm very glad) but I am trying not to have any high expectations for that either. That way I won't be disappointed. My sweet hub did try to book us a Dinner Cruise but it was already booked up. He gets an "E" for effort on that one. He did try. I am convinced there are three kinds of Valentines Couples. 1) they totally ignore the holiday and the wife secretly resents it (or sometimes not so secretly) 2) the husband goes all out, flowers at work etc. to impress her co-workers. 3) the hub genuinely does not know what in the hell to do. He wants to but spending mucho $ on flowers seems a waste to him. The wife wants him to go all out for her and make her feel really really special. But spending mucho $ on flowers seems a bit silly to her too. I already have gifts for Stacy from Madison and the pets and i'm doing a little something for him also. I think he will be pleased.
I bought a "little black dress" this past week-end. I've always wanted to get dressed up for Valentines Day and even though we are not going on the cruise i'm getting dressed up for dinner or whatever we do. I want to feel beautiful and special. Something I haven't felt in awhile.
31 comments:

Have fun!

I love my LBD, I have about 10 of them.

Have a fun weekend!!!

I think Stacy things you're beautiful and special already.
It's not where you go to hear someone say they love you.

Have a great weekened

Katie- I used to have a little black skirt and sweater set but nothing like "the dress".

Daisy- I hope so!

In a perfect world, I'd just like to go have a nice dinner, but I'm here to tell you, servers? FUCKING HATE VALENTINES DAY. It's nothing but men with their mistresses during the day (paying cash) and then the same men bring out the wife (to the same restaurant and pay with credit card) and then sit. Let me let y'all in on a lil secret. Servers wanna stab you. A deuce at a table sitting for 2 hours where you could have had a 4 or 6 top that turned in 90 minutes pisses you right off when that is your cash those asshats are infringing on. So do an ex-server a favor - stay in or go out this weekend, tip heavily and for the love of God, keep the PDA to a minimum. Now give your wife a nice spa day or whatever. Or here is a fucking idea, how about cooking HER dinner? Oh and cleaning up.

Just a thought.

Walker- I know, I know! (I do)

SFG- We never go out on the actual day itself. Your ideas are good ones except he cookes/cleans up on regular days so there ya go. (don't stab me ok?)

My Japanese teacher told me that in Japan, the women buy the men chocolates on VD. The men reciprocate a month later on White Day. When she first came to America, she thought all the men scrambling for a last-minute gift were gay.

(Hopefully I didn't already tell you this.)

Aw, Patti, you sound down. I'm sorry, hon. And Walker is right, you are.

I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day, although my feelings aren't as strong as SFG. Valentine's Day was fun when I was a kid or a teenager, because it was a day that gave us an excuse to declare ourselves to someone when we wouldn't have the nerve to do it otherwise. Maybe even into young adulthood, it is a romantic way to give a gift or propose. But once we have a long term or permanent sweetie, once we are grown up, I think it is a farce, a set up for disappointment.

Mature love is a daily event, not a once a year explosion! Your 3 descriptions are sadly true, and frankly, it's a set up for someone (usually the man) to fail. Give me a man who is there for me every day, one who who cooks or cleans up to save me the trouble (now THAT'S love!!), one who shows me how he cares daily by coming home to me (and the kids), one who openly love his kids, one who is good to his mom, one who makes me smile when I think of certain things, one who is with me when I'm sad, who hugs me even when he doesn't get it, one who makes me comfortable rather than curls my toes.

We look for the big romance and we are likely disappointed, but if we look for the every day reminders that we are loved, it lasts all year. I know this may sound trite or old fashioned or corny to younger people, but a love in which you are comfortable e.v.e.r.y s.i.n.g.l.e d.a.y is SO much better than one that gives you the occasional yippee-skippee-wahoo effect. Been there, had both kinds. If I have another opportunity, I hope he curls my toes by a daily hug and sharing house work!!

Valentine's Day hoopla can kiss off.

After being married for almost 29 years, my wife and I just kind of ignore VD. It's not that we don't care about each other, it is just that after so long, VD just kind of loses its meaning. We buy each other gifts for no reason at all.

I feel that women want and need equal rights. I say let them give US flowers or a SEARS gift certificate and also more tools. Another gift idea would be for the woman to take US out to dinner and spoil us like we spoil them 364 days a year. Just a thought...

JUST KIDDING YA'LL!!!! Daisy does get everything that should be gotten on this day and everyday during the year.

I hope you have a good time. I like the dinner cruise idea. Hey do they have dinner cruises in Myrtle Beach? That would be fun to do when we come down for a visit.

I just wanted to let you in on an already known fact... YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL & SPECIAL!!!

lynilu has spoken the magic words. We are not big VDay celebrators. I am not a big fan of flowers, they make me sneeze and seem like a waste of money!

Put that dress on and feel beautiful on the inside as well as the outside!

Anonymous

Have a wonderful weekend!

I hate Vday. BUT I do like to get flowers. And stuff... BUT I do not need to get them on vday...

i know im gonna be sad coz im gonna be away from mikey on v-day but i will send him some flowers it always makes him feel silly being a guy and getting flowers but i cant help myself. if i was there tho it would be like i would put a trail of roses until he got 2 the bedroom with a rose layin on me and nothing else hehe!

hope u have fun no matter what!

I'm sure that your husband won't care what you wear just as long as you wave your boobies at him... ;)

Good points. V-Day is tough...we like the idea of romance, but spending the money on the made up holiday is tough to justify, but then feeling like all the love-stuff is hitting you in the face and you should be doing something.....ARGH! We mostly just do cards, and now maybe a cake or cupcakes with the kids, if we are inspired.

Have fun - no matter when and how you celebrate!

Grant- That for some reason strikes me as HILARIOUS! No I would have remembered that!

Lynilu- this part: "Give me a man who is there for me every day, one who who cooks or cleans up to save me the trouble (now THAT'S love!!), one who shows me how he cares daily by coming home to me (and the kids), one who openly love his kids, one who is good to his mom, one who makes me smile when I think of certain things, one who is with me when I'm sad, who hugs me even when he doesn't get it, one who makes me comfortable rather than curls my toes."
is Stac to a TEE. I'm damn damn lucky. Thanks for reminding me!

Mike- I hear what you are saying but I guess i'm just a hopeless romantic and I hope he always at least buys me a box of candy!

Man- Awww thanks :) I've said it before but you & Daisy are so lucky to have each other. I'm pretty sure they the dinner cruises at Myrtle Beach. We did one in Savannah four years ago and loved it.

tommie- Thanks hon, good advice!

TMP- I agree Valentines Day is a commercial bunch of hooey.. but still....

Ryan- Now you have the right idea and I love that you are sending Mikey flowers. Sweet!

Tigeryogiji - You are never going to let me forget about the waving boobies are you? hehe....

Dakota- I agree it is a big build-up for a let-down in some cases. I hope y'all have a good one!

Anonymous

I'm just glad it's not 2 days until "VD" day. Ew.

Anonymous

People shouldn't ignore their VD, like Mike. A visit to the doctor would be good. ;)

Darling: Valentines' Day is a nonday... total moneysqueezing... them overpriced cards... them premium chockies...

the dinner... with the man coming by with stonkingly overpriced roses... making any man who refuses look the biggest cheapscate...

do your own romantic things on your own terms... that IS romance... not a tick-box (or check-box as perhaps you say "State"-side... experience...

no man! go for what yous both really want and like and leave that horseshit commercialism where it belongs: trodden underfoot at the stables!

;->....

You sound like me. I told the
hubby that I didn't want anything
for Valentines.

I'm just going to cook a meal and
save the money for my new dishwasher. To bad it ain't gonna
look like the guys on my Christmas
list :(

Hubby and I just exchange cards and give extra kisses. Sometimes I get flowers, but I'm serious when I ask him not to spend the money on them. Such gouging goes on at this time.

I actually really do like Valentine's Day a lot, because Gary and I don't go out enough (we usually have about two real "dates" a month) and it's a good excuse to spend the evening together. We used to get each other gifts, but then seriously decided that the best gift we can give each other is to spend time together. So this VD, we are going to lunch together (avoid the rush of the crowds that night) and then in the evening I will make a nice "theme" dinner for the whole gang and we will enjoy a special bottle of wine. (Then we may catch a late movie, if I can convince McKenna to babysit.)

Useless Wonder- LMAO you are funny! Welcome!

Gledwood- VERY good advice! Very!

Laurie- Oh I didn't tell him I didn't want anything ;)

Wendy-I agree, the gouging is awful. It's the thought that truly counts.

Cheryl- I aspire to you and Gary. Seriously. Y'all have the right idea!

Patti: Sounds like a carefully calculated move on Stacy. He's a lucky guy. How cute that Maddie gets to participate! She's a sweetie like you! :)

I don't think you should have low expectations, sounds like Stacy always comes through!!

I think it is a great idea to get dressed up to go to dinner or whatever! You will look beautiful and I hope you have a wonderful time!!! Have a good Wednesday - see ya. Kellan

Michael- Maddie's participation in anything is a given. She's the most loving,giving little girl ever

Sandra- You are right :)

Kellan- Thank you I hope so!

Anonymous

Boyfriend and I just exchange cards. I'm extra special though because I get two of them. A funny one and a mushy one.

After a couple of years of the flowers thing I just told him to quit. It's too stressful trying to keep the flowers alive until I see him and I'm hardly ever home so I don't get to enjoy them.

Nothing wrong with getting dressed up "just because"! This reminds me, I have a great LBD but I have outgrown it. It mocks me from the closet...

We don't usually exchange gifts on VD but do get each other cards. We usually go somewhere nice to eat right before or after the day because everywhere is so busy on the 14th.

Shell- I like flowers but some good chocolate is oh so much better!

Chickie- Yeah we eat before or after the 14th too. I have no issue with that. Burn that mocking dress dammit LOL

hi patti! sounds like you and stacy have some BEAUTIFUL plans in place.

hubby and i, other than occasional greeting cards, tend to ignore this holiday. we both don't think of it as a necessary deal. but to each, his own. you and stacy, have FUN! and take some pictures!

:)

maria