Hey everyone, this is Katie hijacking (with permission of course!)

Just wanted to let you know what's going on and let you know the lack of post from Patti today does not mean she doesn't like us.

Maddie was attacked by a German Shepard today, here is the e-mail I received from Patti explaining what happened:


She was next door playing with the neighbors kids and their german shephard, Alex, attacked her. She got multiple bites and scratches on her upper legs and back and a small scratch on her face. The bites on her upper thighs and back of her leg were very deep and wide and she had to get stitches for those. She is doing okay today, sleeping right now. It will take some time for my babygirl to heal though. She is so tough. She said this a.m. "Mamma I want to go to Chick A Lay (read: Chik Fil A) and play but my legs won't let me". She's too damn funny, that kid. Animal control is involved but I am reccomending they not destroy the dog. I just don't feel right about that. I do want them to either get rid of it or put a locked padlock on the gate. Okay there goes the door again.
42 comments:

You need me you know where to find me!

HUGS and Kisses to Maddie - you and Stacy!

What Cheeky said.....

ditto. Oh Maddie. Poor baby.

Anonymous

oh man the entire family will be in our thoughts and prayers!!!!!
Marie
mtvass@comporium.net

Oh Patti~ I am SO sorry!! Poor Madison!!! Give her a big hug and kiss from Man and me. You might want to have one of those French Martinis while you're at it.

PS. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous

Oh goodness. Keep us posted. Hope she heals fast and well. Give her hugs from all of us here in OB! Hang in there, girl.

Anonymous

I still couldn't believe it when Katie told me about it. That's so sad!

I'm with you girl. I don't know if I could knowingly have a dog put down, especially a family pet. Hopefully the family will keep their dog more secured from little ones.

I am so glad Maddie liked her little surprises.

As for that dog, man alive. What a nightmare. I'm so glad she is okay.

Oh Patti--So glad she is okay! (We say Chick A Lay as well!)

OMG how awful...

Hope her little legs will help her get to chic fa lay soon..

I would have the damn dog put down..shoot..

Patti-
This just makes me sick to my stomach thinking about your little girl and how scared she must have been. I'll be thinking of you and your little cutie pie.
Jessica

OH my gosh...I am so sorry to hear this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Oh honey! I am so, so sorry!!!! What a horrible ordeal for all of you. Big hugs and warm thoughts are flying your way.

Give that baby of yours a big hug!!

Oh jeeze! Maddie's a tough cookie, she'll be ok. So glad she's got you to take care of her.

I'm very touched that you don't want the dog destroyed. That takes a big person. Very admirable, Patti.

Lee

wow patti, good thoughts for you all!!!

Oh no! You will all be in my thoughts!

This is terrible news and I hope little M. is doing okay. From the sounds of it, she is. This same problem is ongoing in our city and as a result of attacks, every single breed of Pit Bull has been banned from our city.

I agree with not destroying the dog - very admirable. Dogs feel threatened when something else is at their face level, whether it's a grown man, another dog, or a child. Unfortunately children are always at head-level with dogs. The dog had a natural reaction to what it percieved as a threat.

It is very unfortunate and I feel very sad for you. What the dog needs is strict obedience school and to be kept away from small children.

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry. Sweet Madison, I'm sending lots of hugs your way.

Patti & Stacy, I know how it hurts you when your precious baby is hurting. Take care of yourselves so you can be there for her.

Most animal shelters can put dogs through their paces to see if they are safe to be in the community. If the dog is really not safe, he shouldn't be out, even behind locked gates. See if the shelter can check the dog out, then ask for a padlocked gate if he is deemed sociable enough to be in the neighborhood.

SO sorry to here about Maddie... I hope she feels better.

I'd have the dog put down. I would not want this happening again to someone else. My dog when I was little bit me and the next day he was gone we had him for 8 years at the time. My dad decided I was more important than the dog and he did not want to risk me getting bit again.

Ditto what Cheeky said.

Give that girl some extra hugs and kisses from her internet aunties and uncles. I'll be thinking about her and Patti too.

Thanks for letting us know Katie!

Oh my God...that's awful! I'm so sorry you and yours are going thru this!

Madison is a tough cookie though...you can't keep a tough cookie down!

Take care and know we're sending well wishes to your little one!

Patti: you know your little girl is in my prayers, sweetie.

Katie: thank you for the hijacking FYI

Anonymous

Ditto cheeky and other's offers of help, where necessary.

Best to all of you!

I'm sure you will fill us in soon, but it sounds like Maddie has been around Alex many times without a problem, and something unusual happened this time? I too love that you aren't immediately calling for the dog to be put down - hopefully Animal Control can help to assess the dog.

FWIW, even my gentle old Collie snapped at me pretty viciously one day when I accidentally stood on his tail - sometimes things happen, and they don't mean the dog is homicidal, but this is why owners should always supervise contact with little kids.

Hope Maddie (and you) are feeling better today!

Anonymous

So sorry to hear that. I am glad your daughter is OK. I am very impressed that you are keeping a cool head about the dog. Not a lot of people could do that.
We will be thinking of you.

Shangie

This is my first time here. Shelly told me about what happened to your daughter. I'm so sorry.

As the mom of a German Shepherd that needs constant supervision, I have to say it's very brave of you not to demand the dog be put down. I know I would feel horrible if my dog did this to a child but I can't imagine how I could ever put her down.

You are clearly a kind and compassionate person.

I will take this as a reminder to never be lulled into a false sense of security with my dog around children.

I wish your daughter the best!

Anonymous

I hope your daughter heals up and that she is up and playing in no time!

Hugs.

Anonymous

I came here via Shangie/Tysgirl and just wanted to send my very best well wishes to your daughter. I was bitten by a GSD when I was a teenager, I can't imagine how scary it would be for a young child.

I have a dog that cannot be around small children and I hope that your neighbors deeply appreciate the stance you're taking on this and take EVERY STEP POSSIBLE to ensure this NEVER happens again. It's about responsibility and they need to thank their lucky stars that you're being so compassionate about this situation and step up to the plate and do what's right for children and their dog. Things happen and I prefer to err on the side of over caution and never allow my dog to be in a situation where something could go wrong.

I have a 2 year old niece who means the world to me and the love I have for my dog has made it so I never have them together. Period.

Good, speedy healing thoughts are coming your daughter's way!

Oh my gosh!! Poor little thing! How frightening for her and you. I hope she recovers quickly and I will keep her in my prayers. Take care, Patti.

Anonymous

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family..Cheeky's POP

Oh damn. So sorry to hear that. I hope she heals quickly. My son got bit by a German Shepard when he was little and still has a nice "L" shaped scar on his leg from it. I hope everything turns out okay.

I hope she is okay and this doesn't make her afraid of dogs. I was bitten by a German Shepard in the stomach once but nearly as bad as what it sounds like Maddie was. I now own a Shepard but never let him be around Jayke without watching him very closely.

I admire you for not requesting the dog to be put down and I totally understand. We went with the locked padlock to keep our big boy locked up...kept him safe too.

Oh my, I haven;'t been here for a couple of days and I come to this.
She is a tough little trooper and I am sorry she had to go through t his much pain.
You and Stacy must have been going nuts.
I will keep her and you in my thoughts.

Patti,
BIG HUGS.

Oh, Poor Madison ! Poor kid.

I hope that she isn't scared of all dogs after that.

Probably will be a hard couple of weeks. What a shame for that adorable little girl. Hope the doctor did a good job of stitching her up, and that the pain goes away pretty soon.

Has the dog ever attacked anyone before ? Did she/he just go bonkers for no reason ?

At the very least they should put a locked padlock on the gate. Getting rid of the dog would definitely make you feel more comfortable.

Thinking of both of you,
Loving Anni

So scary...Sending good vibes your way...

So sorry to hear this, your poor baby. sending kisses and prayers for a speedy recovery your way.

Cheeky- Thank you honey, indeed I do!

Katie- You too sweetie!

Laurie- I know! :(

Marie- Thank you!

Daisy- Thank you to you and Man. I need several french martinis!

andie- Thank You!

Shell- Thank you again. Yes I don't want the dog killed at all.

SFG- Thank you too so much. Yes a nightmare indeed!

tommie- Thank you. Chick-a-lay makes me smile

FFM- I took her the next day but she didn't get to really play because her legs wouldn't let her but she enjoyed it anyway. No I can't hurt the dog. Just can't.

Jessica- Thank you so much. It hurts my heart too.

Caroline- Thank you honey just your kind words mean so much.

Casey- Thank you, consider her hugged!

Melissa- Not sure how "big I am but thank you my friend.

Lee- Thank you

Chickie- We need your good thoughts!

Martini- Thank you I agree with what you say wholeheartedly

Lynilu- This is the hardest thing i've dealt with so far in motherhood. So hard.

Man- I appreciate your feelings but I just can't have the dog destroyed. I do want him gone however. Thank you!

Jenie- Madison has so many internet aunties & uncles - she's such a lucky girl to have so many people who care. Thank you!

Stacy PQ- That kid is a tougher cookie than I ever knew she was even!

Maidy- Thanks sweets, your son is in mine as well!

Pat- Thank you, I appreciate it!

Sandra- As far as I know it was totally unprovoked but I don't want any harm to come to Alex. I don't want her around him anymore either however. I am very understanding with animals and I don't hate the dog. Just what he did to my sweet baby :(

Shangie- Oh i'm far from impressive but thank you so much for the kind words and good thoughts!

tysgirl- Thank you, we have had a german shephard throughout my middle/highscool & college years. They are wonderful dogs.

Mutt Princess- Thank you, she's a hard one to keep down!

the Q- Agreed, you just have to keep a cool head and do what is best for dog and child

Kellan- Thank You!

Cheekys Pop- Thank you so much I am so thrilled you visited/commented me! :)

Mike- Thank you. Sorry your son had to experience that too.

Wendy- Thank you. Like I said above Shephards are not bad dogs. This is an agressive boy though and he really needs to be more secure in my opinion.

Walker- You can't even imagine. Thank you so much my friend.

Loving Annie- I hope it hasn't turned her off big dogs also. I have tried to discuss with her without making it too traumatic for her. Thanks honey

Nap Warden- VERY scary. Thank you so much.

Lori- Thank you so much sweetie!

Katie: Thanks for this report. Patti, I was numb reading this and my first thought was if the bites broke skin. I would think further about allowing the dog to be destroyed, Patti so another sweet, little child like Madison doesn't meet a worse fate. There is something short-circuiting in that dog's brain and he's dangerous. But my thoughts and prayers are with Madison's recovery. Such a sweetie!

Michael- Thank you my friend. We don't have animal control's evaluation yet.

Here's hoping that Maddie is doing better. It can be so traumatic when a child is bitten by what many consider to be "Man's best friend." I wish her a quick recuperation!

Steven- Thank you so very much!