Here is the front of Raef's car. It is just beautiful! He came in second by the way which isn't bad for a new car and it's been several months since he raced after destroying his car at the Dillon track.

Here is Maddie and Me with Raef. We have been friends for years. Stacy and he raced against each other at the old Summerville Speedway.

BTW: Anybody got any tips or encouragement to offer? I think Holly is a very old dog and she is not housetrained. I don't think she's incontinent, she will go outside and then come inside and go potty. I have a crate that I put her in last night. I feel like a RAT. I'm sure she doesn't understand why she's being put in there. I am lucky I am able to go home at lunch and let her out and give her some food/water and run around. Still......... Sandra - you've fostered. HELP!

She probably does it inside because the people who had her never let her out to go before so it may take awhile for her to get used to the luxuary of being released outside to go.
Next time she does it inside take it and her outside and show her it out there maybe that will do it if not, well they do make diapers for seniors don't they lol
Have a nice day
I'm sorry but I don't have any advice to give you regarding Holly. Just lots of patience which you already have.
I like the picture of you and Madison with your friend.
Looks like a fun night at the track!
No advice, only encouragement. It will all work out.
Walker- When I catch her I tell her "No! Bad dog!" and whisk her outside. She will pee outside but not poo. If she would at least do it on a puppy pad that would be great!
Daisy- Your right I do have patience and lots of love. Thanks, he's our buddy!
Katie- We did have fun. I want you & Cheeky to come go. Hoo boy.
It will work out, you're right!
Either crate her or put her in a small room (bathroom, laundry room, etc) with puppy pads everywhere. Be diligent about taking her out. She can be trained its just a matter of patience and time.
Loves me some Saturday night racing. We used to go in Hickory when we lived in NC. We have a track here in Shakopee too.
Cheeky- At least if she's crated she can see more and Reilly is there also. I am going to get some puppy pads too. Thanks! Girl we would have too much fun at the Track!
Don't feel bad about using a crate. That is how I have always trained my dogs. You will find that once she no longer needs to be in the crate she will go into it because it's "her" space. MG has one for Oliver and he loves it. MG put two old pillows in there for Oliver to lay on and some blankets.
Yes it will all work out. Just continue being consistant and she will get used to the routine. I am sure she has never had a routine before.
I agree with the crate training. It works, but with an older, mis-trained dog, it might take a little longer. It feels "mean" but it is not. Train her just as you would a puppy ... Keep her in it except to eat, to play and to go outside for the elimination. And when you taker her out to poo, especially within 30 minutes of eating, keep her out until she does so. You HAVE to stay with her so you can praise here immediately, or it won't work. Sorry for that little detail, but you have many years of her bad habits to break.
Good luck!!
PC -
I LOVE this post...I am a closet race fan...Whenever my wife and I go camping we always look for a little short dirt track speedway to watch the weekend races. And I love NASCAR. I know what you are thinking...how does a suburban Jewish boy love racing??? I don't have a good answer for that :)
Bradley
The Egel Nest
You shouldn't feel bad for crating her. My French bulldog prefers to be in her crate or her bed in the office. She is old...and the kids are just a bit much for her. She feels like it is her haven if she needs to get away from them.
We were never able to break a resuce Frenchie from pottying in the house...after three years! So while in the house, she stayed on the tile in the kitchen or her crate if were were gone.
I also crate train!! Our dogs love thier crates and often go in to sleep in them, so it's not punishment it's thier "room" so to say!!! When our son was deployed we took his beagle puppy to our house, she's cute as can be but not potty trained, it about drove me nutty!! But I finally got her trained by taking her outside to potty with the other dog, if she didn't potty she went in her crate for 10 mins, then I took her back outside if no potty back in her crate for 5 mins, and on and on. I know it sounds tine consuming but I PROMISE you after a few days they GET IT!!!! It only took her a few days, she'd go outside have a grand old time and then come inside and potty inside, oh man it's a good thing she's so cute because she drove me nuts!!!! This is the only dog I've pottied trained, we've sent all of our dogs to "doggie boarding school" and they come home sitting, potty outside and all of that good stuff!! Good luck, if this doesn't work let me know, my friend is the owner of the boarding school, and I'll see what she has to offer. She's the one who told me to do the above!! Sorry this is so long!! Gotta love those doggies!!!!!
Marie
mtvass@charter.net
My dad had this problem with his two Chihuahuas. They were kept in the house all day while my sister was at work so they just went on the floor. When my dad got them, they had to train them. They put puppy pee pads by the door and just started taking them out more often and they finally figured out that they were going to get to go out so they stopped going in the house.
The crate helps too. My dad did that as well. Don't feel bad. Everything I've ever read is that a crate actually makes a small dog feel more secure and they like having their own space.
Hang in there, She will get it.
I too crate train.
It's hard to re-train or un-train bad habits but can be done. Treats and super happy voice-positive reinforcement works great..
What I did with Lucie, was walk her on a leash (even tho' we had a fenced yard) 10-15 minutes after she ate or drank water, and kept taking her to the same spot, saying "go potty lucie" and when she did, I petted her, gave her a treat and kept saying Good Girl, Good Potty Lucie. We kept up routines, positive reinforcement...putting her in the crate if she didn't go, and just practice practice practice. She'll get it. Especially if you have other dogs--she'll catch on.
Caroline- My head tells me i'm doing the right thing but my heart just looks at that little face...
Lynilu- Thanks for the most excellent advice & encouragement
Badley- You are obviously a man of discriminating tastes to like racing! U go boy!
tommiea- I'm hoping that is how Holly will come to feel. Like it's her sanctuary.
marie-I wish I could send her somehwere and she'd come back magically trained but this dog has been through enough "changes". :)
Wendy- Hanging in there, thanks for the encouraging story.
Retro- She'll pee for me but so far not poo. It's tough in the a.m. and mid-day on a workday. I just don't have the "time". We'll get it.
The dog I fostered had issues with this too, I had to be VERY vigilant in watching for signs that she was about to go in the house. Her new home said there were problems too, although over time they did improve. This is a very tough one, because she probably doesn't know any better, I'm sure she's not trying to be bad, and not really 'marking territory'. Unfortunately I think you may have to crate her or gate her in your kitchen when she's unattended, at least for a while. ARGH, I feel for you!!
Oh I was going to add what others said - I don't like crates either but I learned from that last foster dog, that they like it much more than we think! I wouldn't feel bad about crating as long as it's not for too long of a day. She may feel safe and cozy in there and prefer it to being loose in a new place.
I've crate trained my dog since she was a puppy. She loves it. She goes in there to lay down on her own. She is in there during the day while we are at work. We do put on the tv or the radio for her so she hears human voice etc... I say praise the lil doggie when she goes out and also give her a little treat. Since she don't have teeth maybe some wet dog food could be a treat.
Oh Patti,
My Sophie is crate trained... it is not all so bad. We call it her Condo.. sometimes she even sleeps in there.. with the door open. They honestly get accustomed to it.. it helps them learn their 'boundries', etc.. She will still love ya, promise!
no advice here either..I am a dunbshit.
looks like it was a good day at the races;)
Sandra- Okay thanks. She's definitely not trying to be bad and she finally did poo outside this a.m.! Yeah! As soon as I get home she is let out and she doesn't go back in until the last person goes to bed
Man- i'm going to get some bil-jack liver treats. She loved them at the vets. She has no teeth but the girl can still eat LOL
(that would be me too)
Sheila- Okay I feel better! Thanks!
FFG- You are not a dumbshit LOL Yep good times at the races...
Well, I don't really suppose this is likely to have effect.
hair sticks | bar mirrors | Tampa Florida weather
Post a Comment