One time I even endeavored to take all 13 of them (in my Dad's station wagon) to see the movie "Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles".
My ears rang all the way home - because all thirteen of them sang the theme song from the movie- non-stop! LOL
But... I digress.
Despite babysitting from the time I was about 12 years old, it in no way, shape, or form prepared me for a baby of my own.
An infant.
We did not know how to do her bottle, the hospital provided us with the "cheater" bottles and we were frantic that we might somehow screw up regular formula/bottles and harm our babygirl.
Sometimes I wish there had been a hidden camera - i'm sure we looked comical. Two "skirting-forty" parents completely un-hinged by a tiny infant.
But, we made it through.
Now she is five years old. FIVE. Where did the time go?
I dropped her off at pre-school this morning.
She doesn't want us to walk her in anymore, she's already embarassed to be kissed in front of the other kids.
I watched her go up the walk-way, flowered LL Bean Backpack on her back (monogrammed, of course).
It looked as big as her.
I still find myself frustrated and at my wits end. \
Did I do the right thing?
Did I give the right answer?
Do I do TOO much for her?
Am I giving her too much lee-way ..... or not enough to grow.
It's HARD - the hardest thing i've ever done.
I am responsible for raising this human being right.
I want her to be strong,fair,compassionate, and open-minded.
In the end I can just take a deep breath and hope for the best!

trust me sis u have raised her right. u and my mom were cut from the same mold and she did alright with me least i like to think so. yeah i think your doing a great job the best part is you teach love and understanding that is way more than most parents do. so today sis you get a big gold star!!!
kisses
It looks to me like you're doing it right. I think LOVE is the most important thing, and she sure has that.
Hope you have a good week. Keep your chin up.
~hippo hugs~
She's five and you're still driving her? No wonder she's embarrassed. If you're worried about her safety, just get her a twelve gauge and a scabbard for her Harley and send her on her merry way. Sheesh - are you ever over-protective. :p
If you are constantly questioning your practice as a parent, you're probably on the right trail. Don't go with the shotgun, though. A concealed knife is much more economical.
I'm sure you've done a good job, Patti, or you wouldn't even question it. My kids are 39 and 45, the steps are 47, 48 & 50, and I still ask myself on occasion if did enough. I know I did, you know you did .... but it's hard sometimes to feel that kind of confidence.
Parenting never ends.
You are doing a good job Patti. Kids can be exasperating, but you'reon the right track.
You did and are doing just fine.
There is no book on parenting that can prepare you.
You learn as you go.
Put this in your mind, a leather clad gangster sort standing in the kitchen at 10pm cooking up formula for his 2 month old on his weekend.
Scary eh LOL
I ask myself the same questions and my kids are 26 & 19, my step-daughter is 31. It never ends.
Parenting....is the hardest job but the rewards are priceless!
(and the embarassment of the public displays of affection is just a phase.)
You are doing a great job.
Kim
I am just waiting to have all those feelings. Maybe someday soon.
What a beautiful post, and timely for me. Last night I exhibited my most demonic self to my child, intentionally, after realizing that I had been making some big parenting mistakes, allowing him too much freedom. I have definitely gone overboard. My own parents gave me much freedom, but I handled it responsibly. My son is not, and that means I have to become the type of parent I was hoping to avoid.
Hugs,
Betty
Ahhh this is such a sweet post...they give you manuals for everything on this planet, how the coffee from McDonalds might be hot, how the sidewalk might be slippery, but no manual on bringing home a tiny human life!!! LOL No wonder most parents mess it up, I bet all the bad parents can program a VCR based on the manual though!!!
Post a Comment