You used to see these all over the place but no more. I can't even tell you the last time i've saw one. Maybe over in the Lake City or Mullins area they are more plentiful but not around Florence ... anymore.

They harken back to a by-gone era. When tobacco was picked by hand, bundled together and hung up to dry in these old barns built solely for this purpose. My brother used to work in tobacco when he was young. He said it was hard, hard backbreaking HOT work. I believe him. I never saw anybody look happy while doing it!
When our grandparents first moved down here to South Carolina from Pennsylvania they lived in Mullins in an area called "Penderborough". I have no idea where it even is today. I haven't been there since the 1970's. My brother worked tobacco for a man named Mr. Marvin Shelley. Mr. Marvin even came and visited us in Pennsylvania once.
I know you had to be very careful of snakes in these barns because they were rife with them. That right there kept me firmly OUT!
Anyway i've always loved these old barns. If this one falls down I might purloin a piece of wood from it and do... something with it. Not sure what but something.
Hope I didn't bore you too much with my meanderings into the past and hope you have a great week-end!

Very cool - the snakes would so keep me away too. Ick!
That's just so cool...A little
bit of history from your area...
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laurie
a romantic piece of old history with those picturesque barns... but you're right - snakes would have kept me out too !!!
Morning, Patti: It's fun to Google the story of the man who srove all across America painting barns for free if they would allow him to depict the billboard for Mail Pouch Tobacco! I enjoy these often forgotten places too!
Bore? No way. That was super nifty. I love old derelict buildings. Our city is full of them.
If you go for a piece of wood, the snakes might get you. Or it might be full of snake eggs so that they hatch in your house later. Maybe you could just start smoking as a way of honoring the past.
i always enjoy a little history! have a great weekend, patti!
;)
Those were some great memories and I enjoyed them. I remember seeing these long ago.
I love history and I loved today's history lesson. I don't like snakes either.
Have a great weekend.
Last summer I had this great idea that I was going to travel all over Michigan and take pictures of old abandoned farms and houses and businesses and make it into a book of some sort, but then I remembered that I am the world's worst photographer so I just gave the whole idea up.
Besides, the whole state is going to be abandoned soon.
Nice photos Patti.
I loved hearing the history of these barns - so interesting! Cool picture.
Have a great weekend - Kellan
Ahh the memories. I worked in tobacco in my teenage years. Some of the best times I ever had. Good looking guys...lets just say fun times!
I love the barns too...my grandfather had 3 on his property and we always loved playing around them. Good piece of Southern history....liked the post!
Have a great weekend!!!
I used to pick tobacco with my granddaddy when I was little.
A little bit of history here in this post! Very interesting!!! Yes, the snakes would keep me away, too!!!
((( HUGS )))
I was so facinated by the tabacco barns on my first driving trip in the south--they are mysterious and romantic all in one. I love them. Thank you for the pictures.
That barn is a gem! So glad you snapped some pics!
I loved those old building when I was growing up in FLA. Too many old farm buildings to count. We thought they were all haunted, which made searching them all the cooler.
You lost me at the snake part. I am terrified of them!
I love to be warm but picking tobacco in the hot sun doesn't sound good to me!
Very cool. There used to be an old barn near my Mom's house and my friends & I would sneak in it to snoop. The owner kept a ton of old catalogs (like from the 20s & 30s) in there.
That's a fascinating bit of history. I enjoyed it.
Hugs,
Betty
They have a certain nostalgia to them.
Its a link to the past a dieing era.
Sad in some ways as they served their purpose but not so sad when you think the harsh times they represented before life became a little easier
Post a Comment