I posted on Friday about a big brouhaha about a school in Irmo,SC who is divided about some kids wanting to form a Gay/Straight Alliance.

In responding to my comments (which were all good ones BTW) I got a bit "wordy" and decided I wanted to post further.

I remember in high school and even as far back as middle school recognizing some kids I thought were gay (and i'm pretty sure turned out to be).
It was never an issue for me. One girl who played softball with me told me she had a crush on me and I told her I was very flattered but unfortunately only boys interested me in a romantic way.

We were still friends, still hung out together, still had sleep-overs just like we always had.
Some of the other girls in school went on a campaign against this particular girl and came to me hoping to do some shit-stirring I guess.
They were all "Oooh did you know so-and-so is gay? We heard she is. You still stay over at her house and let her stay at yours? Oooh - do you sleep in the same bed? Gross!" that type of thing.

I told them in no uncertain terms that I didn't "know" if she was gay (Okay I lied but it sure wasn't MY place to confirm and Out this girl to those bitches) and they should grow up and stop acting so babyish and stupid. I said she was a really cool girl, an awesome ballplayer and a LOT of fun to be with. I really made them feel like bugs under the microscope and i'd like to think helped in the end of their campaign against this girl. Things did die down after that.

I still remember though, her coming to me and crying and thanking me for being her friend. I felt so uncomfortable because to me, it just wasn't that big of a deal. I was doing what I felt was RIGHT.

I also want to give a shout out to a boy who lived in my neighborhood and rode the same school bus named Tim Moon. Tim, if by some one-in-a-million chance you ever read this please know that I always, always took up for you and I beat up Bryan Bass when he called you a Faggot on the bus one time too many. Yes I did, punched him right in the face and jumped on top of him and beat the tar out of him. Tim had already gotten off the bus and although I tried to be friendly to him and we would exchange smiles we never really TALKED, but you could sure tell someone beat up Bryan for about a week afterward til' his boo-boos faded (snicker). The bus driver (whose name I recall was Ronald) never turned me in either bless his heart.

You moved away soon after that incident and I always hoped you ended up happy. You took so much shit from the little turds in our neighborhood. I am so sorry.
20 comments:

Yeppers, you and I are two peas in
a pod.

I was told by a good friend that
she was in love with me. I told her
that she wasn't (because she had
just had a bad relationship with
her boyfriend) but, I let her know
that I loved her as a friend and if
she needed I'd be there always. Her
mom is the one who got pissed off
because I didn't want to be her
daughters girlfriend. Well, we
were friends. I didn't want to
ruin that.

HUGS!!

patti, thank you for sharing your story. even if tim moon never read this, you have touched many more lives by posting this. there are other tim moons to be validated and stood up for. and there are other ignorant ppl that could have used a butt whoopin from you on the school bus. still could. it's time for everyone to wake up and treat each other with all the love and respect worthy of human beings. you remind me with this post why i love you so. you're a good woman with a good heart and you have the back-bone of a samurai.

;)

~m

btw i have a theory about the homophobes. i think they secretly desire a romp with the gay lifestyle and the HATE that in themselves so they take it out on others.

also, cruel children are taught by cruel parents. no rocket science there, i just thought i'd say it for the record.

;)

I don't think its so much the kids as they usually take up what their parents have taught them.
I have a number of gay friends and they have never tried or done anything improper towards me.

Adults are the conveyers of whatever kids say or do for the most part and until their parents teach thm that, to each their own then there will always be trouble.

Oh yes, I think this happens everywhere..

One of my good freinds was gay we didnt go to the same school, but my other freinds would make comments about her..and I got into a brawl or two over it as well..

Some kids are just mean, and I must say, I blame the parents of thos kids...

As you know, most of my co-workers are gay or lesbian. Some more noticeable than others. There have been a few customorons that have made crude remarks. I remember one such customoron that was not nice to one of our gays and the rest of us refused to help this customoron find what he was looking for.

I believe what ever you put out is what you get back in life. I love all of Gods children no matter what their preference. I want to be treated fairly so I treat ppl fairly. Life is too short... Patti you are a great lady thank you for the b day wishes.

I'm with Manblogger641 on this one...you get what you give.

Karma works. Just ask Earl...;)

You should be sainted.
St. Patti, Protector of the Gays.

Some might agrue that your behavior isn't much of a miracle. But they haven't walked a mile in my shoes.

This week, I had watched an ABC report (youtube) about intolerance/tolerance towards gays, and it got me so down to hear that there are people who still respond violently toward gay people. And then I read your posts, and I have hope again. Hope that you'll personally seek these people out and kick their asses. (lol)

You're a peach.
~S :)

You are a good friend - that is for sure!!!

Have a good evening - see you - Kellan

Your an amazing woman, Pattie. It's a pleasure to know you.

Teenagers--and, well, people--can be so cruel!!!

McKenna has two good friends at school who are bisexual and she always sticks up for them. I think that she attracts these kinds of girls as friends because they know she is tolerant and understanding. It makes me very proud of her.

Not sure what happened with the email thing. I'm SURE it was a user error :-). I just resent it though...Let me know if you get it.

You are my hero! I love the mental image of you beating the snot out of Bryan Bass!

The world needs more people like you.

I'm so old that people didn't ever admit to being gay. Yeah, I really am! But in my young adulthood, I learned about a few friends who were, and since then I've just never understood what the big deal is! People aren't suddenly different because *I* learn they are gay! Duh!

I agree with several others that homophobes are afraid of themselves. It is sad that they are missing out on a huge slice of humanity, one that has given me some of my dearest friends. Too bad for those narrow minded ones.

Even if Tim never reads this post, Patti, I'll bet you he knows in his heart that you're a gem. :)

Amen! You're the best!!

xoxo
Linda

Heh, I love that you kicked some ass on the school bus! I wonder if Bryan learned a lesson that day?

Ahhh see thank god I read the post with the pics of your mom and dad...as I can say you probably got your guts from your dad when it came to beating up byran...good that you stood by your morals as such a young age

What a cool person you are, Patti! I've come to the conclusion that insecurity is at the root of all hatred.

People's sexuality has never bothered me, but I realize now that I may have been a jerk in high school.

One of my friends, a girl, had a brother whom most of us thought was gay, despite the fact he had girls over for dinner all the time. We used to bug him a lot and make gay jokes. We were never nasty, but in retrospect, now that he turned out to be gay, we probably shouldn't have said those things - and he sure took it well as he never let on that it might have bothered him.