Childhood
I had a very happy Childhood.
I was born in Williamsport, PA. Our first house I remember was a red brick three story "row house" (you yankees probably know what i'm talking about) on Wilson Street.
This was in the area of town called "East End" - where my Daddy grew up.
When I was about 3-4 we moved to a much nicer neighborhood called "Newberry" into a big old victorian house built in the 1800's.
It was on the corner of Diamond Street and Linn Street.
There were beautiful old stained glass windows, the doorknobs were ornate and heavy and the keys were the big skeleton keys.
This is my favorite house, the one I still dream about sometimes and the one I somehow wish.... I wish...... I guess I wish I could go back to that time once again. Just for a little while. Silly isn't it?
It had a detached double garage out back, an attic and a cellar and what was called a "summer kitchen" seperate from the house in case of fire. We used that for a play area though because by then there was a kitchen in the house. As well as a diningroom, livingroom, TV room, Sewing room, and upstairs five big bedrooms and a bathroom with a huge clawfoot tub and the kind of drain that had a stopper on a chain. I used to be sort of scared I would somehow get sucked down it. I was a silly kid. My siblings didn't help matters any by singing the "Alice" song. Anybody know that one? The ending goes "Oh my goodness, oh my soul, there goes Alice down the hole glug~glug~glug~" LOL
Dad was the head of Pepsi Cola and with five kids who never wanted for anything he had to be making some money *grin* but I never thought about that.
Never knew "rich" or "poor" just that I was a happy, happy kid.
The playground was a block away.
In the winter the blacktop was flooded and we could all go iceskating. My best friend Lori McDermott lived across the street from the playground on Pearl Street.
I went to Jackson Elementary School (still in existence and use) about six blocks away and we walked to school. Usually in big groups.
Our route took us past the James V. Brown Library and on Thursdays I would stop for "Story Hour". A magical time for me and what i'm sure fanned the fires of my love of books (along with my Mother).


Here is one of the first toys I remember playing with as a wee one. The Fisher Price Jalopy.
Another favorite, the Fisher Price Little People. If you remember the proper names for some of the family members were Patty (the redhaired girl), Mike (the brother) and Butch (the dog). I only remember those because that is my name, my brother's name and my Dad's nickname and when I was a kid it got kinda mixed up in my head LOL I somehow thought they were named for us.
This was the last babydoll my Mom bought for me. Rub-A-Dub Dolly. I think I was 9. Hey I played with Barbies up until I was 12 or 13. Childhood was alot more innocent then and it wasn't anything weird but today........ kids practically think they should be getting married at that age, sad to say :(
Ah the Big Wheel. We played on these things and literally wore holes in those plastic tires. Me and the neighborhood boys Ronnie and Shane Polson. We would ride them in the parking lot of Ascension Catholic Church and the mean old lady who lived next to the Church (Mrs. Gentz of whom i've spoken before) would try to run us off. I remember her one time smacking Ronnie's Dad, Ronnie Sr. across the face when he went to tell her to leave us kids alone! Yikes!
Then we moved down to South Carolina and life changed........ a lot. At first I never thought I would get used to it. We lived in the VERY rural Mars Bluff area with my Grandparents, Aunt and her three kids (that house was really big too) then when we moved into Florence on Cedar Street, I found my niche once again.
That was a real neighborhood (albeit one without sidewalks and no city buses) and I made friends and still see some of those people today.
Life can take some funny twists and turns can't it?
I often wonder what Madison's childhood memories will be.
26 comments:

Sounds like the town I grew up in. The grade school I went to was just torn down. Many memories in that old building. I am guessing they will probably put up a Rite Aid or something or a storage place. :-(

Anonymous

Where I grew up is still there. Same old town that my parents still live in now except it's becoming a big suburban town now. Strange. I never thought that little hick town would amount to anything.

I had those same toys! I loved
the metal TONKA trucks too!

Big Wheel races down the street
thru the stop signs and into
what little traffic there was at
the time. (one car every 30 mins.)

HUGS!!

Brting back memories.
I now live on the street I grew up on and in fact in the house next door to the one I grew up in.

I hav e watched it change from what it was as a kid to what it is now. Mostly its better but there are bits I wish never changed .
GreaT POST

Sounds like my childhood except for the money and large houses and toys and siblings and friends and happiness. But I was once young too. I liked to play in graveyards and pretend that I could control people / set them on fire with my mind.

Some things never change, thank Beelzebub. I'm sure Madison's childhood dreams are a lot like mine, so get her a flamethrower for her next birthday.

Man- It makes me so happy to know Jackson Elem. is still going strong! but I would be sad if it were torn down too :(

Shell- Williamsport is a fairly decent sized city with various neighborhoods etc. If anything though industry has moved away and it's gone downhill, crim increased etc. I wouldn't move back I know that.

Laurie- Oh we could not have rode in the street - would have got CREAMED! Probably by a city bus!

Walker- Thank you I guess I just wanted to go back,in my mind if nothing else. It felt good to write it. You are lucky to be where you are.

Grant- You are a sick, sick individual. From what I do know of your childhood that explains it! :(

I know that "Alice" song. My girls wore out their big wheels too. Even after they wore holes in the wheels, they still rode them!

Unfortunately, I don't have wonderful childhood memories. It wasn't all doom and gloom, but it wasn't apiece of cake.

great post patti! oh wow, those big wheels were a hit in our day. it seemed everyone was riding one. i remember remember the baby alive dolls? lol! i had one of those.

hands down this is my all time favorite post. thanks for sharing!

;)

~m

I LOVED my big wheels.

Daisy- I can't believe you know the Alice song!!! Maybe i'm blocking some bad parts out but I have happy happy memories. I know i'm lucky!

Namaste- Thank You so much! Yep I had Baby Alive and also Peachy Puppets. Ever heard of her?

Bella- They were great, hand break and ~scree-ee-ee-ee-ee~!!!!! sliding sideways. You were a stuntgirl!

I had that same play house! I loved it! Remember the door bell? Thinking about it now, I must have driven my Mom nuts with it :)

My memories of childhood are wonderful and I am always glad to hear when other's were, too. Seems like so many did not have good childhoods. We are trying to do the best we can for our kids. Guess that is all you can do, but sometimes it would be nice to go back.

Fun post.

I lived in a cool house in Iowa when I was little...I miss it. i think it is a bank now...sigh!

Hope all is well in Patticake Land:)

Dakota- OMG I was thinking about the doorbell last night when I found the pic! How about the fake paper trellis on the side? I feel the same way. Thank You!

Pack of 2- Hi y'all! Good to see you. Yep it's all good here! Miss your blog :(

I lived in countless homes growing up, because we moved so much, I rarely had nice new toys and we were poor, but I was a happy kid and never felt denied for anything. Interesting that we lead different lives, but still have great memories.

I had the jalopy and the little house too! My brother had a parking ramp with a really cool elevator that they cars could go up and then they're whizz down a ramp. Ah, toys bring back good memories.

Lovely memories of your childhood - a good childhood, I might add!

Those "Little People" are still a favorite toy of kids these days - aren't they? And ... I wish they would come back with those Big Wheels like when my brother was little - the really sturdy BIG WHEEL in the front - just build better than the ones these days. It was a fun toy for my brother.

Have a good evening - Kellan

Patti, the summer kitchen had a second reason for being separate from the house. In the summer, cooking created a great deal of extra heat, so often, at least with those who could afford it, the summer kitchen was built to keep the house as cool as possible.

Wonderful memories!

How cool...what a neat post. Thanks for sharing those memories with us.

If you don't mind my asking, what made you do this post? What a cool idea.

BTE- Money doesn't make happiness, that's for sure!

Sandra- My cousin had the parking garage. I also had the schoolhouse, farm and bus! Loved little people. Loved.Them.

Kellan- Little People now, they are bigger and "safer". Meh. Yes they need to bring back the original Big Wheels. Loads of fun.

Lynilu- Your explanation makes more sense than mine did so i'm sure you are right! LOL I can't beat the Trivia Queen! No sirreee! Wouldn't even try!

Dawn- Thanks. I dunno, I was just feeling all nostalgic. I get that way sometimes.

MJ

We spent hours and hours on the big wheel going around and round in the double car garage because we had a gravel driveway. Love those times.

Good Thursday evening to you, Patti.

Madison's childhood will be (and already has been) enormously filled with love...

Lucky you to have such nice memories of your childhood and the home where you grew up. It sounds WONDERFUL !

Your Dad was CEO of Pepsi ??? o.m.g. - yeah, I'd say you never ran out of snacks and soft drinks in your house :)

MJ- Yep a Big Wheel worked on concrete, gravel, dirt anywhere!

Loving Annie- I hope her childhood will be magical :) Yes we always had cases of soft drink on the backporch! No snacks though.

thats lots of sisters and brothers , how nice it must be. I just have one sis x

I too was a Fisher Price fan. So much so that a couple of years ago my hubs and I collected 1970s Fisher Price and somewhere we have everything they made! Fun for a while. We have that big wheel right now!

I've moved around a lot too...mostly because my dad is a builder and can only stand to live in a house for a few years. Sadly, I loved SC but am really glad to be home again in IN!

Patti: BIG WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!! :D) You really got me on that one. BING!!!!!:)

Anonymous

I looooooved the (real - not plastic) Fisher-Price farm with the barn door that, when opened, would moo. The GI Joes were a hit with the three sons, too!