Of course I can't always do it but I can now so... without further ado .....
Thursday's post is about books I had as a child and I had to give them to my younger cousin (who was NOT even a reader) and they all burned up in a housefire.
I need to really work on trying to replace them.
I've got some replaced (Complete Little House series, Through Fairie Halls, Norman Rockwell's Christmas book to name a few) but here is my wish list *sigh* and i'm sure some i'll never ever ever replace................
The old Bobbsey Twins books I had my Mom's when she was a girl. More current ones just aren't the same..................
Some of my favorite poetry of all time... every child should read this and I WILL be getting it even a new version would be okay with this one.
I loved the Donna Parker books, again I think my Mom or older sister's read these also..
I am currently re-reading Mary Poppins borrowed from the library and realize I want my own copy!
Trixie Belden ........ she was right up there with Nancy Drew for cool girl detectives but somehow I liked her books even better. Again there may be a current version (as there is for Nancy) but NOT the same. I also had my Mother's old Nancy Drew books.
There was another girl detective that I LOVED too, ooh.... I can't remember her name. She called her parents by their first names and had a best friend who had alot of siblings. I remember one book had her and her friend going to Blueberry ____, ME and they thought they discovered a coven of witches. Oh hell i'll be trying to remember this all week-end now!
There you go........ maybe i'm just nostalgic for my childhood right now.
Anyone else used to read Cricket Magazine for children back in the early to mid 70's? I loved loved loved it. It featured Old Cricket and Ladybug and oh, I don't know who else. Maybe it originated in England or maybe i'm just getting myself confused with their version of football called Cricket *giggle*

Childhood books are great, aren't they Patti ?
I'm not familair with yours, (except of course for Disney) but I loved Nancy Drew and Anne of Green Gables and Harriet The Spy and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and :)
My favorite book was TEX. I liked it so much I bought another copy of it on ebay. I could not find the one I had. It had to have the same cover on it like the one I had also... I never saw Cricket magazine. I had Boys Life when I was a cub scout.
I read "Highlights" magazines when I was a kid. (I did a google search and cannot BELIEVE they still publish them. Mom had them delivered to the house and I'd RACE out to the mailbox to see if I got one....i LOVED those things.
As far as books, I read a lot of Charlie Brown books (it was an actual book of all their comic strips). Then when I was older, my brother kinda sorta introduced me to horror stories (my first was about giant tarantulas taking over the world) and that was it for me...I was a horror fan for life! ;)
Crap...I just need to go straight back home and crawl under the covers and start all over TOMORROW morning.
Highlights
Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorites, hands down.
I read the Bobbsey Twins books too. And I loved Highlights magazine. It's a shame you had to give your books away. I don't have any of my childhood books either. I was the oldest of 6 kids and books and toys just got passed down.
those are some great ones...It's a shame that you had to give them away. I'm holding on to all my kids books...don't know where I'll put them all...but I'm keeping them...
oh me too. i have a number of childhood books i want to replace for my grandkids (future of course!) i gave away so many of my daughters' books. childhood books are the best!
~m
Yes, I used to love Cricket magazine too!!!
I loved the Bobsey Twins too.
Other faves from childhood were Nancy Drew (of course!!), The Boxcar Children, and all the Black Stallion books.
Great post!!!
And, how could I forget Anne of Green Gables? But i actually didn't discover them until I was in college...and then I LOVED them!!!!
Well, I sure remember the Child's Garden of Verses. My mother used to love the Robert Lewis Stevenson poem about "Oh how I love to go up in a swing..." I can still hear her voice reciting it....OK, now you've got me cryin'...
Hugs and tears,
Betty
I didn't lose any of my books to a cousin who didn't read or a housefire. My mom threw them all out. Sometimes I wish they had been burned up in a fire. That would have at least made sense.
i still have all my trixies and nancys but i never had the whole set of either one so my dream is to someday purchase the missing ones from ebay. i have one donna parker, would love to read more of them (and maybe i did and just don't remember).
the one you mentioned that took place in blackberry something, me? doesn't sound familiar but does sound interesting.....would like to know if you ever find out the title.
loved the bobbsey twins too. obviously you've struck a chord with me on this subject, lol!!!
btw, here is a link you might be interested in: http://www.loganberrybooks.com/stump.html
I have heard of the Bobbsy Twins or was it the Boobsie twins, hmmm, but not the others but then again guys didn't read those books so I wouldn't know.
The only books I read were Louis lamour western and national Geographics but I only looked at the pictures ;).
I wanted to be Nancy Drew and when that didn't happen, I never really recovered from the disappointment. I mean, do you remember she had "titian" hair...I'll never forget how cool that sounded to have titian hair. Dreamy!
I loved the Anne of Green Gables books and anything by Louisa May Alcott too.
I was a huge Little House on the Prarie fan. It tickled me to see that my niece has one of my favorite books, A Wrinkle In Time!
Post a Comment