I need to go home.........

WARNING: This may be a long one full of rambling emotion....


I found out today that my "family" church in Williamsport PA, St Mary's, will be closing sometime this coming summer. It makes me immeasurably sad. This church has been attended by my family for generations back through the 1800's.


I was born in the neighborhood, only two blocks from the church, on Wilson Street. The red door has a plaque on it in memory of my Great Grandmother Nellie Switzer who died March 13,1988 at the age of 98. I used to always tell her "Gram I want you to live to be 100" she would laugh and say "Why in the world do I want to be 100?". She was an awesome, amazing woman. Not even in ill health until about age 95 or so. I aspire to be just like her and I DO want to live to be 100+. I'm selfish like that heh heh...

Back to St Mary's it is a small church. The parsonage was sold several years ago because it was difficult to secure a full-time priest so one was shared with Christ Episcopal Church and St Ann's. Two other city churches in the diocese and it seemed to work just fine. The pew that my family always sat in still bore the gnaw marks of us bored children the last time one of us were in the church (we always check).


I spent many an afternoon in the church kitchen where there were doughnuts frying and sausage sandwiches being made for one fund-raiser or another. My Uncle Larry is on the Vestry and always right in the thick of things. He lives down the alley from the church and he is very grieved over the pending closing.


The last time I was there was for my beloved Aunt Paulette's funeral in May 2003. My sisters and I drove all night to get there. Paulette's funeral was on my sister "B's birthday and after the funeral everyone gathered in the Church Hall for a meal (as is the tradition for all neighborhood funerals) and "B" was HORRIFIED when our other sister "K" stood up and announced her birthday and everyone sang Happy Birthday. She did not think it "proper" to sing Happy Birthday after such a sad occasion but heck Aunt Paulette would have laughed about it and did it to her too!

I want to have Madison christened there. I realize this is something I should have had done years ago but she has hated riding in the car and riding in her carseat up until recently so now time is drawing short. I need to get home and attend services at St Mary's. Have my baby girl baptized at my church where generations of us have been baptized and I need to see my beloved Aunt Barb before it is too late.
23 comments:

Oh...I hope you do get a chance to go back and visit before it's closed!

((hug))

Well honey - I say - ROADTRIP!

The thought of a little Patti gnawing on the back of a pew is cracking me right up. Seriously.

I totally agree with Cheeky....Roadtrip!

patti, what a beautiful post and tribute to your "family" church. i love that there is so much history attached to the church that you grew up in. start planning your trip girlie. looks like we'll be meeting soon. yaayyyh!

:)

Jenie- Me too i've got to get those plans in order.

Cheeky- YEP I need to get on this pronto!

Katie- I did and no thought to germs Ack.

ICSCN- Yep when I come up we are definitely meeting up. Definitely.

it sounds like a very nice church patti and i hope you get back there to do all the things you want to do. we always seem to get to busy to do the things that we would like to do. we are always to busy making a living and pleasing other people. have a happy new year and i will be talking with you again.

MrH- You are so right I hope you and the Mrs had a wonderful Christmas!

Hey, hook that up girl. Get yourself up there before it's too late. I mean if I can walk into a church without the cross falling off the wall, then really, anything can happen.

Yes...go, do it. You HAVE to!

SFG- I know right ... if I can cross the threshold and there is no smoke involved that's a good sign right there too!

Stacy PQ- You're right I DO have to! I need to take pics & video also.

Anonymous

well you better get up there b4 it's too late!
I think you will regret it if you don't go.
Sorry about your church closing.

My family church closed down years ago. It didn't bother me much because I hadn't gone in years, but it really hurt my family a lot. To make matters worse, there were no other Methodist churches in the immediate area so they had to drive 40 miles to go to church.

Good luck getting there. Maybe you can get a souvenir from the church. Like a hymnal or something. It won't hurt to ask.

Get thee there!! Drive overnight so Madison can sleep.

If the church is closing, consider buying the family pew with your boredom-marks and put in it an entry/foyer or along the wall of the dining room, or on the front porch for those nice summer evenings! What a treasure!!

Pack of 2- I know I would regret it if I don't get there.

Mike- Man that does suck having to drive so far!

BTE- That is a GREAT idea!

Lynilu- Another great idea. I'm going to have Uncle Larry checking on that pew before anyone else does.

Wow, I guess I never thought that old historic churches like that could just "got out of business" but of course everything needs money to keep running - will the building at least be saved from the bulldozers? Hopefully the historic preservation people won't let them knock it down?

I think it would be most awesome if you could get the family pew. Wouldn't it be beautiful in your home?

Ditto what Cheeky said - get going!! I'm sorry to hear it is closing and it will no longer be there - I hate when that happens - progress or whatever - I hate it! I hope you manage to get there as it will be very special for you and you should do it. Take care. Kellan

Hi Patti:

I agree with the others........you MUST go!

Since this church means so much to you, and you have such strong memories, it is important that you attend one last time!

I hope you will have a meaningful trip!!

Happy New Year, too!!

Linda

Me too. You gotta go!
Happy New Year!

Anonymous

Girl, you'd better burn rubber or you won't forgive yourself. I grew up in the Episcopal church, thankful its still there, and love my little country church here. It is sad to see a piece of your past go...but here's to a bright future, right? Happy New Year..I'm glad to have found ya!

Wow, I'd never occurred to me that a church would close but it makes sense. Nickels and dimes keep everything going.

Hope you get there soon!

Happy New Year!

Sounds like a trip home is what you need!

Its said when monuments of time and memories are forced to close and take away what future generations can go and touch.
Maybe you can take the plaque for you family?