
After reading about my friend
Seven's upcoming adventures into the world of Orthodontia I thought about when I got my braces. I was having terrible headaches and pain in the side of my face. I went to the Doctor and after eliminating other possible scenarios we decided it was TMJ and I was advised to pursue Orthodontics. I went home, discussed the situation with Stacy and made an appointment for the following week. I got to the Orthodontists office. They did x-rays, made molds etc... I was asked "When do you want the braces put on?". Me: "Well, Thanksgiving is coming up and i'd really like to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving so as soon as possible". Dental Tech: "How about today?". Me: "Huh? Today. Well, Okay". So.... since it was a spur-of-the-moment deal and they didnt' have time to put the spacers on they used this thing that looked like an electrified small pizza cutter and "spaced" my teeth. Oy. I don't know if it was the noise that bothered me the most but that was a most unpleasant experience. Then they put this plastic thingy in my mouth that held my mouth open, I sort of looked like a cow saying MOO very loudly. After the brackets were put on I had the most unpleasant taste/sensation in my mouth and only sipping a cold Co-Cola gave me relief. My mouth was SORE. But nothing compared to my feelings when I got home and was met by my darling husband at the door. When I smiled at him in greeting he shrank back "Ohmigod. You are so ugly with them on". I burst into tears. Then he hastily tried to backpeddle saying "You're not UGLY, I was just, um, surprised. I didn't know you were getting them on today". "Really Hon I was just surprised. You're not ugly". Me blubbering away "No,you said I was ugly. That's what you said". He STILL has not lived that one down.
I don't consider braces ugly,and i'm sure Seven will be just as handsome with them as without. I am still self-conscious about wearing them. I don't smile a whole lot but I guess when they come off... i'll find my smile again.
I don't consider braces ugly either...it's just a temporary part of a person, you know what I mean?
And I would've burst into tears if The PK'd said something like that to me too...then I would've gotten pissed off...but first, I'd have bawled!
Cakes,
Good story. Aren't those mouth spreaders too funny. Perfect for halloween.
I can't beleive Stacy said that! We men can be so....well, men.
My mouth is really sore today. I can't smile jus cuz my lips can't seem to get over the danged metal fence!
Hugs to my fellow metal mouth in SC.
Why don't guys think before they speak? Why is there no filter from their brains to their mouth? LOL I don't think I'd EVER let him live that one down. :)
Good luck to Seven on the braces!!
First time i saw your pic in your blog I told Gerbera i thought you look cute/pretty. Men can't live wit em and you can't live wit em. I HATED having braces.
I don't think braces are ugly either... :)
I remember the day I got mine on. Mom took me to McD's afterward because she knew in a few hours I'd refuse anything but soup.
Personally, I think you look cuter when you do give that big grin... metal and all!
I never had to wear braces, so the experience of it all escapes me. I remember my sister wearing them (for years)... then a retainer... then some football-player-like mouthpiece at night (for years).
As a kid, I was so jealous. I wanted braces. As an adult, I realized I was the lucky one in the family for not having to endure all of that.
I have never thought braces were ugly. I'm more amazed at what they do (when all is said and done).
Peanut Queen - Somehow I can imagine your PK blurting something like that out also. Yes I sure did bawl!
Seven- I felt exactly like a cow with the mouth spreader in! It'll get better, I promise. You won't be self conscious like I am though. You're way too cool!
Jen- Nope. Stacy's filter was apparently clogged that day. He was so horrified at saying it though. But still, it stung my vanity. A lot.
Manblogger- Thank You! You are always SO sweet! So good for my ego. Gerbera is a lucky, lucky, lucky woman :)
Denny- I know it will, I know! :)
Christie - Thanks! Waiting on the results of the RFS blog awards!
Angie- Awww what would I do without my blogging chicks propping me up?! Thank You! A McD's cheeseburger was the first thing I tried to eat too. Notice I said "tried". A horrible experience.
Jeepy- A fellow sufferer! Your name just makes me grin. Jeepy. hehehe.....
PurpleTwinkie- I remember every kid in school who wore braces. My cousin Becky was WILD to have them and never had to. Oh and it feels just fine to be forty. How 'bout you? *wink*
As you can see guys/girls I am going to try to respond to my comments if time allows. I have a LOT of free time right now. I love when people do this!
I never had braces...but I don't think they are ugly at all. Some people look totally cool with them. I'm sure your hubby didn't mean to hurt you -- Men have a great way of blurting out things before they think of how to properly word them...lol.
I have one tooth that dents in a little (an eye tooth on the top)but the rest are perfect. I wish those invisaline braces weren't so darn expensive or I'd get them--just for that one tooth. Oh well.
Seven, and others with braces: Look at it this way...You're a beautiful work of art..in progress! :-)
RetroGirl - You have a wonderful way of looking at things! I wish I had half of your wonderful spirit!
hey girl. long time no talk- it's kristie... i'm back in the blogger world with a new name, come say hi sometime. ;)
http://severedsmoker.blogspot.com/
Never having had braces (like RetroGirl, I should have had them for one tooth, but they didn't do it that what when I was a young'un), I can't really say "I know." However, I've never thought them unattractive, and when my daughter had them, I told her the "work in progress" thing, too. Actually, she was adorable in them, but she'd be so in a furry bear coat with peacock feathers in her ears and a big ol' stogie in her mouth. Well, no, drop the stogie, no one is cute that way.
Anyway, I think husbands have a missing gene so they can't avoid saying the wrong thing. Every couple I know has had those times when the husband said things to his honey that he would never, NEVER say to anyone else. It sucks, but perhaps if you reframe it to say they feel so comfortable that they can say anything, it might help. Nah, it doesn't. Just put a big ol' knot on his head, then tell him he is pretty ugly, too. I think you're a cutie, and I'm sure he does, too. Smile and flash those jewels, honey!
HE. DID. NOT. SAY. THAT!!!!!
Oh, girl, I hope you get a ton o' mileage out of that one.
I also had braces but I was 13 and I truly believe after watching some friends deal with it now that it is tougher on grown folks. However, it was no fun AT ALL.
i had braces 4 years if u look at some of my past posts u can c me with them. guys sucks sometime and str8 guys sometimes speak b4 the think! sendin u a hug!
I see a chiropractor for my TMJ, and he's worked miracles.
Oh, Patti-Cake: You have me howling on this end! "An electrified small pizza cutter"!!! I hope you can forgive your hubby. It does sound like a "Saturday Night Live" skit where Dan Akroyd opens the door and says that to that funny girl (no not the late Gilda Radner, the quirky one). I say this only to give you a smile and no. In school, we used to think braces were "Cool".
My son really didn't mine having braces once he got over the pain from the adjustments. He was young enough that he and his friends thought the colored things they put on them looked cool. He got a different color each visit.
Man, I have to say I was blessed with good teeth genes but my husband on the other hand? Not so much. Our girls are screwed.
Guesswhat.karma said- So glad to have you back chick! I've added you to my sidebar :)
Lynilu- I know you were very supportive of your daughter. You are like that :) It's one of his many tongue slips but the worst by far.
SFG- Oh I milked it honey, he STILL gets a deer-in-headlights look if I bring it up.
Ryan- Thanks sweetie. I'll have to check out your metal mouth pics! :)
Pat- My TMJ is a thing of the past thankfully!
Michael Manning- Glad to see I can always give you something to laugh about. Nice to know I amuse somebody ;)
BTExpress- I got the different colored thingies (yes, I did, how embarassing to admit it) until the novelty wore off!
KeptWoman- Your girls will be just adorable with braces or without!
Heh, that sounds like the sort of thing Sweety might blurt out.
My stepson got braces not too long ago and I can't get over how grown up they make him look.
You had the colored bands? Too freaking cute!
There is nothing wrong with them when you sit back and see thet results. Thats all you need to know. :)
Chickie- Yep somehow I can see Sweety saying it too. They just love us so much dont' they? I've always thought kids look cute with them on!
Walker- You are right, i'm an adult but somehow I revert to an awkward 7th grader when it comes to my braces!
I hate anything to do with dentists.It makes me shudder.
Post a Comment