Okay I need a little advice from my blogger friends. You know I work at the Crying Cow Bank which is a VERY uptight, by-the-book kind of place. There is this guy who works here. He used to play for the Atlanta Braves (he has a World Series ring - very cool) until he got hurt. Anyway there are some that are jealous or who have had a problem with him in the past. He is a good looking african american male and very flirtatious. A short while ago I went to the drink machine to get a Diet Mt Dew. We crossed paths and he made a teasing remark "Working that money maker early this morning" to which I laughed and then we stopped and conversed about something work-related. He just called and told me someone reported him to HR for the remark to me. I told him it was NOT me and I think he believes me. I don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. BUT now I know HR will probably be calling me and what do I do? I can deny he said it and probably get him off the hook. I HATE shit like this. WHY oh why can't people just mind their own business? If you did not make the remark or it was not directed to you, just ignore it. Do I have the wrong attitude? HELP!
UPDATE: I did have to go to HR and I told her that we were discussing something business related (true) and that nothing offensive was said to me.(true) I re-iterated that I consider him a good colleague and have no problem with him whatsoever. He later called and thanked me because I probably saved his job. Whew i'm glad that is over with. He is just a real sweetheart and I know pure old fashioned jealousy and maybe a bit of racism is behind this. The women around here literally throw themselves at him and he is a bit of a "player".
Too Salty for my Own Good
8 years ago

No you just took the remark as a joke which is how he meant it.I think if they contacted me and asked if he said it i'd just say i can't recall what was said.i"d just say i think he made a joke but i really can't remember what it was now.That way i'm not really denying that he said it,just that i can't remember it.
its funny how things get blowed way out sad really. this is both good and bad 2 have in the work place but when people sticking there nose in when it didnt concern them.
I agree. If you really didn't have a problem with it, I would say that you can't recall exactly what he said, but that he certainly didn't say anything that was offensive to you. Geez. Some people just can't mind their own business! Drives me crazy!
I'm more of an idealist instead of playing strictly by the rules. If you want him gone, tell the truth. Otherwise, say it never happened. I don't like to lie, but I like seeing good people hurt even less.
I work for a mega bank too. If you tell HR that yes, he said it but that you two have a very comfortable long-term professional working relationship and you weren't offended by it, they will probably tell him to be more careful and they'll leave it at that. Highly doubt they'll blow it up, HR hates this stuff too.
Gee, these things are always sticky.I wouldn't be in HR for any reasonable salary. Heck, I'm glad I'm retired! I think it is sad when friends can't joke around, but some don't know how to stop unwanted remarks or how to judge when others are joking. So I was EXTREMELY careful about workplace relationships. If in doubt, don't. And you're probably right about the targeting. Sad.
glad it worked out Patti...that's ridiculous somebody involved themselves over something they heard y'all talking about...
People need to mind their own Ps and Qs. I'm glad this worked out for you. I'm sure he'll not be saying anything like that again though ....
The people who make stuff like this up don't have enough work to do on a daily basis. Glad it worked out.
good job..that's what I would have done too.
Shelly
good post i like it!
I hate people. Why can't their mind some of their own business?
Good for you. I would have done the same thing. I'm just jealous he didn't say anything about my moneymaker.
I think he's wrong to address colleagues in that fashion. I think you are right to protect him since you were not offended and he wasn't oafish about it.
Good decisions.
You rock girl.
That is so awesome.
I work in a very stuffy office also and no one could ever say anything that offended me but you never know about people.
I hate when people can not mind their own business. It is sad really that they have nothing better to do than try to make trouble for their colleagues. I believe you were right to not rat him out if his comment was not offensive to you.
That's totally how I would have handled it. I hate when people are offended by everything...even that which is not directed at them and won't make a difference in their life anyway.
No, you don't have the wrong attitude at all. More people should mind their own business, unless they see someone being raped or beaten!
Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»
This is very interesting site... Levaquin and pid How to apply to culinary arts school Cheap hosting uk web Singapore rail travel in germany No prescription lexapro
Post a Comment